Volunteers and Service
CAPS is the official public safety volunteer program for the City of Colorado Springs. It’s the 1st of its kind in the area serving three public safety departments under one umbrella as well as the portal for internships.
- 18 years or older
- No felony convictions
- Applicants may not have used any drugs to include recreational marijuana and/or medical marijuana in the past 18 months. You also can not have used any illegal drug within the past 3 years (including LSD, heroin, cocaine, PCP, mushrooms/Psilocybin, amphetamines, inhalants, steroids, etc.)
- Minimum 6 month commitment is requested
Spanish, Korean or Chinese Speaking Skills
Bilingual volunteers who are proficient in one or more of these languages are needed in a variety of roles across the police and fire departments.
Examples include: Citizen’s Academy, Chaplains, Espanol translations, Investigations and others.
Skilled in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr or Periscope? Are you familiar with Canon XA10 camera set up and shoot video, Adobe Premier Pro DC 2015 video editing software, iMovie iPhone video editing app, Creating Facebook Live videos or creating slideshows in smartphone apps?
If so, we’d love for you to share your talents.
Under the supervision of our Community Service Officers, volunteers will provide VIN verification service to the general public, at one of our 4 police substations.
This includes: completing mandatory VIN verification training, conducting VIN verifications using Form DR2698 and ensuring paperwork is processed appropriately.
Citizen’s Advisory Committee
Members represent their neighborhoods in serving as a conduit between the community and the local police division. They: provide feedback to the CSPD
regarding community interests and opinions, use skills to aid the CSPD staff on tasks and requests and serve as community advocates for the department.
Chaplains provide the Police and Fire Departments and citizens of Colorado Springs services on a regular basis; 24 hours/7 days a week. They build and maintain an attitude of cooperation and mutual respect between the departments and the citizens. Members of the Chaplaincy Corps are on-call for counseling, consultation and other forms of human crisis intervention. You must be a full-time or retired clergy, ordained and licensed or have completed Clinical Pastoral Education.
If none of our current openings are of interest, do NOT submit an application at this time. Check back with us in 3 months for an updated list. Thank you!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Select the assignment that interests you. By hitting SUBMIT you are committing to 6 months of volunteer service unless otherwise noted.
If NONE are of interest, do not submit your application at this time. Check back with us in a few months for an updated list of open positions and submit your application at that time. Thank you!
Fields containing an asterisk (*) are REQUIRED. If required fields are incomplete, the application will be rejected. (The term “not applicable” (N/A) is an acceptable response for these fields.) Please read the information below BEFORE submitting your online application.
CAPS Screening Process:
- A criminal background check is performed on all applicants due to the nature and sensitivity of the work.
- An in-person interview is conducted with all applicants.
- The successful completion of a polygraph examination may be required depending on assignment.
By submitting this application, you agree to the screening procedures and to adhere to the policies and procedures of CAPS and the City of Colorado Springs. If you are a student seeking an internship please visit the Internship Application tab.
CAPS Qualifying Criteria:
- 18 years or older.
- Applicants who have used illegal drugs to include marijuana, medical marijuana or edibles within 18 months from date of application submission are NOT eligible to volunteer.
- You also can not have used any illegal drug within the past 3 years (including LSD, heroin, cocaine, PCP, mushrooms/Psilocybin, amphetamines, inhalants, steroids, etc.)
- No felony convictions.
- A minimum 6-month commitment is requested.